Government – Lesotho
Abused Children, Care-givers, Child Heads of Household, Disabled, Elderly, Orphans and Vulnerable Children
Relevant Relationships in Lesotho Text:
UNICEF, WFP, FAO, EU, WHO, Red Cross, WVI, CRS, Sentabale, Save the Children
All child welfare care facilities.
All organizations for the disabled.
Disabled, Livelihoods, Social Welfare
Berea, Butha-Buthe, Leribe, Mafeteng, Maseru, Mohale’s Hoek, Mokhotlong, Qacha’s Nek, Quthing, Thaba-Tseka
Aim to improve social welfare service delivery. Support is offered to organisations providing care to OVC, advocacy to and development of child laws, planning OVC support programmes and their monitoring mechanisms.
- children in difficult circumstances
- placement in care facilities, foster families, national and international adoption
- reunification with families
- psycho-social support
- training of care giver groups
- provision of welfare support eg. food parcel, clothing, and basic provisions
- public assistance allowance–M100.00 per person per month.
- Child grant provided through EU OVC support programme. The grant provides M360 per household per quarter.
All services are needs based and are only provided after assessment by Department of Social Welfare.
- Clients of Social Welfare are exempt from paying medical bills.
- Provision of coffins
- provision of assistive devices regarding disabled
- counselling for elderly
How to access services?
1) self referrals
2) referrals by persons of good will
3) referrals by chiefs
Then an assessment follows by a social worker.
Main Donor: public funds from the Government of Lesotho,
EU 12 million Euros for 3 years for OVC, Global Fund Round 7
This organisation’s info updated on: June 12, 2009. Please ignore date below.
Limakatso Chisepo, Director
t: +266 2222 6000
t: +266 2232 6013
f: +266 2232 6371
Retselisitsoe Tsuinyane, Principal Social Welfare Officer
t: +266 6306 6932
Mantsenki Mphalane, Chief Child Welfare Officer
t: +266 2222 6004
m: +266 6300 7158
Private Bag A222
Health and Social Welfare Headquarters
Corner of Constitution and Parliament Rd.